New to the japanese forum

fuyioioih
記事COLON 19
登録日時COLON 水 5 3 2008, 12:11

New to the japanese forum

投稿記事 by fuyioioih » 水 5 3 2008, 12:24

Hello all,
I'm from Georgia, USA. I am only proficient in a portion of English and almost none of any other language.
I've been using Google Translate to communicate on the other forums with some success.
I hope it works here.
I've been playing for a long time. Not enough. I hope to continue until I get old. I'm only seventy now.
This place is a fine resource for CG. Such an inspiration. Scores, tips, community, lessons, critiques.
I would never find so much in any physical location near me.
I hope to spend some time with you all here.

GeoffB
記事COLON 20
登録日時COLON 木 21 2 2008, 00:20
お住まいCOLON UK

Re: New to the japanese forum

投稿記事 by GeoffB » 木 6 3 2008, 04:11

Hi fuyioioih (how is that pronounced, by the way?)

I'm getting used to seeing the same few intrepid individuals on all the other forums! Good luck with navigating around. I've tried out Google translate after an earlier recommendation from you, and it looks very useful, even to some extent on Japanese, though sometimes the results can be a bit bizarre! Thanks for bringing it to my notice.

See you around,

Geoff

Whooper
記事COLON 288
登録日時COLON 木 7 2 2008, 23:08
お住まいCOLON 東京

投稿記事 by Whooper » 木 6 3 2008, 12:36

Dear fuyioioih

Thank you for your posting in our Japanese forum. We welcome you heartily. You've played for so long, haven't you? In your eyes, I am as if a guitar kid, perennial beginner.

Japanese is a quite complicated language of 3 modes, angular and cursive forms and terrible Chinese characters. Spoken level is relatively easy for foreigners, say, "Ohayoo gozaimasu" or good monring, "Kon-nichiwa" or Hello, "Sayo-nara" or goodbye, but reading and writing ones would be painful. Auto translator often spews mysterious outcomes. Never mind. We can communicate through guitar and its music, as you know? Write to us from time to time, please

Best regards
Whooper

Count
記事COLON 4
登録日時COLON 木 6 3 2008, 00:58

投稿記事 by Count » 金 7 3 2008, 01:28

How do you activate the Google Translator.

Whooper
記事COLON 288
お住まいCOLON 東京

投稿記事 by Whooper » 金 7 3 2008, 07:50

Hi, try below

Google: http://www.google.com/language_tools

Star free: http://www.stars21.com/translator/

I can't assure the accuracy. Pardon me

Regards

fuyioioih
記事COLON 19
登録日時COLON 水 5 3 2008, 12:11

投稿記事 by fuyioioih » 土 8 3 2008, 13:40

Whooper,
Thanks for the information. I have been translating European languages into English and vice versa with Google Translator
with seemingly suitable results. I did get a reply on the Italian forum informing me that the translations were not Italian.
I believe it. The ones that come from other languages to English are sketchy at best, but readable. Not so with Japanese.
All I get on my display for Japanese is question marks, e.g. ?????? ??? ???????? ????? ??????.
Any input on how to get the machine to display Japanese fonts?

Here is a translator which will actually give the sounds of the translations in the chosen language.
It's neat.

http://translation2.paralink.com/

Whooper
記事COLON 288
お住まいCOLON 東京

投稿記事 by Whooper » 土 8 3 2008, 16:22

Dear fuyioioih,

Glad to hear from you again.

>> All I get on my display for Japanese is question marks, e.g. ?????? ??? ???????? ????? ??????.

It seems to me that your machine needs installing a language add-on for Japanese. I am not sure of your Operating System though, mine is a W2K English, try Control Panel/Regional Options, choose Japanese, if enlisted. Your Browser, Internet Explorer, FireFox, or Opera, will be able to display sicken Japanese. For details, please refer to help or readme on your OS and Browser.

Yes, I know your translator. I also use this for English to Spanish or German and vice versa for helping my poor language ability.

Hoping to be of your little service
Whooper

GeoffB
記事COLON 20
お住まいCOLON UK

投稿記事 by GeoffB » 日 9 3 2008, 06:41

fuyioioih さんが書きましたCOLON All I get on my display for Japanese is question marks, e.g. ?????? ??? ???????? ????? ??????.
Any input on how to get the machine to display Japanese fonts?
I just managed to display Japanese fonts on my browser. If you happen to use Windows XP and Internet Explorer, this is how I did it:

From the Internet Explorer menus, choose View and then Encoding, then More, then Japanese. You will probably get prompted to install the appropriate language pack, so go ahead and click on install. You may need your Windows CD, though my machine didn't ask for it. Then you'll need to restart Windows. I got an error message about some file that couldn't be found, but it seemed to work anyway. After installation, I left my encoding set to Auto-select, and it now detects and displays Japanese. If you have a different operating system or browser, you may need to do it differently, but in any case the key to the problem seems to be the selection of the encoding and the subsequent installation of the language pack. Good luck!

Geoff

GeoffB
記事COLON 20
お住まいCOLON UK

投稿記事 by GeoffB » 日 9 3 2008, 07:04

Just looking again at Whooper's post, I think his method should be equally valid, with a small variation. In Windows XP, you would choose Control Panel, then Regional and Language Options, but I would guess you wouldn't choose Japanese on the Regional Options page, as that would make it your default for text entry. Rather I think you would select the Languages tab first and then tick the box under Supplemental Language Support for "Install files for East Asian Languages". I notice this box is ticked on mine after I installed the files using the other method. After you click on OK, I would guess the files will be installed and you will need to restart. Again, this may be different for other operating systems.

Geoff

Whooper
記事COLON 288
お住まいCOLON 東京

投稿記事 by Whooper » 日 9 3 2008, 07:58

Dear GeffB,

Thank you for your further comments. We are happy to see foreign guitar fellows come to comunicate with us over language barrier.

Best wishes
Whooper :bye:

GeoffB
記事COLON 20
お住まいCOLON UK

投稿記事 by GeoffB » 日 9 3 2008, 08:17

Dear Whooper,

It is quite a big barrier too :) but it is nice to have a warm reception here.

Thank you!
Geoff